Singer and rapper Lizzo has been on the music scene for a while now, but 2019 was indeed her year. She released hit songs and won the most nominations at the 2019 Grammy awards. From her love for playing the flute, her hometown, and beliefs, here’s everything you need to know about the ‘Juice’ singer.
1. Her real name is not Lizzo. She was born Melissa Viviane Jefferson but she decided to go with the name Lizzo since it has more swag.
2. She started her music career when she was just a teenager, living in Houston, Texas. At the time, she was so passionate about music that she used to call into a local Houston radio station and freestyle rap in order to win competitions.
3. Lizzo says that she doesn’t ascribe to a single label as far as her sexuality and gender are concerned. “When it comes to sexuality or gender, I personally don’t ascribe to just one thing. I cannot sit here right now and tell you I’m just one thing. That’s why the colors for LGBTQ+ are a rainbow! Because there’s a spectrum, and right now we try to keep it black and white. That’s just not working for me.”
4. Multiple sources confirm that Lizzo is 5 feet 10 inches tall.
5. Not many artists get the opportunity to work with big stars when they are still upcoming in the industry. For Lizzo, however, this was the case. She got to work with music legend Prince on the song “Boy Trouble” written for his 2014 album “Plectrumelectrum.” She described the experience of working with Prince as “Surreal and “like a fairy tale.”
6. Lizzo is a classically trained flute player. She learned to play the flute at a young age and played it while in the University of Houston. Interestingly, she said she started learning by playing along to the radio.
7. According to Lizzo, she has a neutral view of marriage. ”I believe that marriage exists. I don’t think marriage is anything worth believing in. I think marriage is really, really good for couples who depend on each other financially. It’s really good for securing your assets. I think marriage is really good for making sure that children are taken care of in a union between two people. I think that the benefits from marriage as far as health benefits and life insurance, those kinds of things—marriage can be a really good business deal between two people who love each other and don’t need that business to love each other.”
8. She made her film debut in the 2019 movie Hustlers alongside the likes of Cardi B, Jennifer Lopez, Julia Stiles, and Keke Palmer.
9. Early on in her career, Lizzo was a host on the short-lived MTV Wonderland, a live music performance series.
10. Lizzo likes her background dancers with curves. Because she is a strong advocate for body positivity, she ensures that her back-up dance crew consists entirely of plus-size women. Also, the dance group is called Big Grrrls, perhaps in homage to her second album.