One of the most successful actresses in Hollywood, Angelina Jolie has starred in various Hollywood blockbusters and is most notable for her roles in movies like Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and Maleficent.
Asides from being voted “the most beautiful woman in the world” and spearheading several humanitarian causes, here are 10 more interesting facts many do not know about the actress.
1. Her father, Jon Voight, is also an actor. She appeared in her screen debut alongside him in Lookin’ to Get Out (1982). Her father also co-wrote the movie.
2. When she was just 11 years old, Jolie became a model at the insistence of her mother.
3. She is natural blonde, but her mother dyed her hair dark when she was young. Ever since, she has been dyeing it dark.
4. At a young age, she had an uncanny obsession with death and declared that she wanted to be a funeral director when she grew up.
5. When she was 14, she was so rebellious that she was kicked out of school, dyed her hair purple, and moved in with her boyfriend.
6. She loved reptiles while growing up and had a lizard and a few snakes in her possession.
7. Her First marriage was to Lee Miller in 1996. She appeared on their wedding day, wearing black leather pants and a white t-shirt, with the groom’s name inscribed on it. Whew, Jolie! The couple divorced three years later though.
8. Her second marriage was to Bob Thorton, who she met on the set of the movie ‘Pushin Tin’. They got married in 1999 and divorced in 2003.
9. Jolie recently became a trending topic after she dropped her son, Maddox, off at college for the first time and went all emotional. In an interview, she spoke about the experience, saying it gave her a new perspective on parenting:
“When your children are little you feel more ‘mommy’. When they are teenagers you start to remember yourself as a teenager,” she said. “You see them going to punk clubs and you wonder why you can’t go. I’m in this fun moment where I’m rediscovering myself.”
She also spoke about the values she has impacted in her kids:
“Kindness – to others and themselves. It’s important to be humble – know the freedoms you have and what you’ve been blessed with and make sure you help others.”
“…As they grow up, I find my children are strong individuals but still open-minded. I try to lead by example and be kind and gracious, as my mother was – and loving and tolerant. But when there’s a fight that needs to be had, get in there. We need to prepare the next generation because there’s so much happening in the world – they’re up against it. I’m working on a program for children with the BBC. We’re counting on our children so we must give them the right knowledge and support.”
10. She met Brad Pitt in 2005, on the set of Mr. & Mrs. Smith. The pair dated for 9 years, got married in 2014 and divorced in 2016.
If you liked these Angelina Jolie facts, tell us which other star you’d like to see next. Let us know in the comment section below!